Why Zero Calorie Pop is Killing You!
You may think I am being overly dramatic with today’s headline but I can assure you I am not!
According to the CDC- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 20% of the entire US population (ages 2 and up) consumes diet soda on any given day. With US population at about 300 million that means 60 million people a day are drinking diet pop. Out of the 60 million people 11% consumed more than 16 ounces, 7% consumed more than 8 ounces but less than 16 ounces and 3% consumed less than 8 ounces.
Lets simply take the 11% group that consumed more than 16 ounces per day. That equates to just over 6 million Americans consuming 16 ounces per day or 96,000,000 ounces. To put it in perspective that is 75,000 gallons or 284,000 litres. Although, I’m not sure how much perspective that really puts it in. All I know is that’s a LOT of pop is being consumed on a daily basis in the US. And the worse thing is kids are huge pop drinkers!
Studies show that proportionately Canada is not doing any better than our American counter parts.
Its no wonder Diet Pepsi paid Beyonce $50,000,000 for an endorsement deal! The money they are making on Diet Pepsi sales is staggering.
Ok so now we know that there is a ton of diet, low cal, sugar free, zero calorie pop being consumed every day. Why’s it dangerous and how is it killing you? Lets start:
1) Kidney problems– An 11 year Harvard study of more than 3,000 women found that diet pop is associated with a two-fold risk for kidney disease.
2) Metabolic Syndrome– In a study by University of Minnesota in 2008 of 10,000 adults, consuming just one diet pop per day was linked to a 34% higher risk for metabolic syndrome.
3) Obesity– A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet pop a person drank the greater the risk of becoming obese. Consuming more than two cans per day can increase waistlines by up to 500%. Diet pop makes you FAT! It does NOT help you to lose weight.
4) Cell Damage– According to Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology at the University of Sheffield in the UK diet pop contains mold inhibitors called sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate. These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it – they knock it out altogether. The preservative has also been linked to hives, asthma, and other allergic conditions, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
5) Rotting Teeth– In a University of Michigan study adults who drink more than 3 pops a day have far worse tooth decay, more missing teeth and more fillings. Diet pop is very acidic at a pH of 3.2. Battery acid is 1 and regular water is 7. The acid readily dissolves the enamel.
6) Neurotoxic– According to Kimberly Snider C.N. , diet sodas may use a variety of artificial sweeteners in place of sugar, including aspartame, which acts as a neurotoxin. Also known as NutraSweet, aspartame originally received FDA approval for use in carbonated beverages in 1983, and it still remains the most commonly used sweetener in diet soda. Annually, reactions to aspartame result for a majority of the adverse reaction reports made to the food and drug administration.
Made from L-aspartyl-L-phenylalanyl-methyl-ester, aspartame is 200 times as sweet as sugar and contains negligible calories. Once in the human body, aspartame breaks down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Methanol is a wood alcohol poison that, when heated above 86 degrees Fahrenheit (the human body temperature is 98.6 degrees), converts to formaldehyde. Aspartame is also an excitotoxin that builds up in the brain, and can excite brain neurons to the point of cell death.
7) Increase risk of heart disease– A study at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine4 showed that people who drank diet soda daily had a 61 percent increased risk of a cardiovascular event. The study followed more than 2,500 participants for about nine years, during which 559 vascular events occurred.
8) Higher risk for stroke and heart attack– For nine years, researchers at the University of Miami and Columbia University followed 2500 New Yorkers who drank diet soda every day. The study found that daily diet soda drinkers had a 61 percent higher risk of so-called vascular events, including stroke and heart attack, than those who did not drink any diet soda .
Still think the headline is over the top?